Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gold Rush.









I was going to post about Beechworth, a beautiful little town in North East Victoria, a few weeks ago but I...just didn't. And I'm glad I waited as I visited again today and got some new shots that I'd missed last time. 

I grew up only a half hour away from this little gem of a town and it was always the place to take visitors who wanted to feel like a tourist.

Beechworth is most well known as a gold-rush town and for its jail where Ned Kelly was once incarcerated. The town is still steeped in history; you do feel as though you've stepped back in time while strolling the streets.

Today I visited some of my favourite spots - homewares/gift shops Frances Pilley, The Growing Suitcase and Salisbury and Maude. I bought some fresh almonds from the greengrocer (pictured above) and a beautiful little oil burner for the ladypad from Divine Linen.

I also had one of my favourite food-treats, a cheesy caulioccoli pie from the Beechworth Bakery and my fellow road-tripper, Laura, bought a snickerdoodle for the car ride back to Melbourne.

And there was even a shop for lease with a little apartment at the back...sigh. Another day, maybe.
For some expert tips on what to see and do in and around Beechworth, click here for a guide recently put together by Melbourne's Broadsheet.

1 comment: