Friday, December 23, 2011

I wish I had a river...


How do you feel about Christmas? As a child it was my absolute favourite time of the year. The magic used to overwhelm me and I was truly swept away.

Now, I find that I equally love it and am challenged by it. By the magic, and sometimes by the ordinary-ness of it as an adult. And mostly by how quickly it creeps up!

And, so here we are...

It's coming on Christmas, they're cutting down trees. They're putting up reindeer and singing songs of joy and peace.

Last year I missed Christmas. It was, well, pretty much irrelevant. In some ways in didn't really matter, and in other (overly dramatic) ways it was seriously sad being oceans away from family. And so this year I'm slightly tentative. I'm so excited to spend it with my loved ones but also slightly, and inexplicably, melancholic.

So what better way to bring back the buzz than John Denver and The Muppets? When I was a small girl living in the country John Denver's Rocky Mountain Christmas album was a regular on the record turntable. I (well, Ownself) would demand that the tree be set up on 1 December and race about the house in the middle of a sweltering Aussie summer singing about chestnuts roasting, cowboys on snow-covered plains, silver bells and pleas for Daddy to not get drunk this Christmas.

Hopefully Dad does get drunk this Christmas. When he does he jokes quite a lot, thinks his jokes are truly brilliant and his mouth twitches in anticipation of the punch line. It's quite hilarious for bystanders.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment